Verano 2026


“Casa Regina”
Our new home

Casa Regina in 2024

This year was our permanent move from the UK to Oliva. We bought our Spanish house on our honeymoon two years ago and took the plunge to make it our forever home. Thanks to Brexit this was not easy and cost a huge amount of money. Lots of red tape and hoops to jump through but eventually we got our visas. We have now (despite me only being 43) retired and live in Spain on Chris’s hard earned pension. It was thought out and considered every step of the way, not just for ourselves but our children and families.

Twenty two hours on the ferry to Santander from Plymouth, a ten hour drive through Spain to Oliva with our whole lives in tow, we unloaded and lifted everything ourselves into Casa Regina. With one make shift trolley and another bought from a Chinese shop, this was a brutal move. There’s no parking outside our home due to its tiny road. We love it for the quietness but direct access during a big move like that would have been a welcomed help. I think I counted at least fifteen (rather heavy) trips to the van and back. Another ten hour drive, twenty two hour ferry journey to take the van back to Plymouth, heartfelt goodbyes, followed by a flight into Valencia, train to Gandia and taxi to Oliva (no buses at weekends - note to self) we finally arrived and began settling in. A sleep was first on the list of things to do.


Casa Regina in 1925


We immediately began decorating the upstairs of our beautiful home Casa Regina. She rests nicely in the heart of the old town and the oldest picture we have was taken in 1925, beyond that we currently have little knowledge of her journey. We have three bedrooms, three bathrooms, a kitchen, dining room, utility room, front room, reading room and art room. I still pinch myself when I say this. We continue to fall in love with her everyday. The bedrooms and upstairs hallway had a much needed white wash which bought about some small issues. We discovered previous owners had poorly attempted to decorate. For now a quick retouch as our first guests were arriving soon and as we progress later we’ll strip old paint back many layers to move forward - basically clean up their mistakes.

Chris, my amazing husband, made all our beds from scratch out of beautiful wood we bought in Cornwall. Simple, clean and chunky. The beds are without a doubt the statement pieces in each room. As we made strides with colours and simple accessories the rooms began to evolve into their own characters. It was my husband’s suggestions to name them after artists. I was surprised and very happy to hear that, as I am an art lover. Although the room’s full decor isn’t a complete representation of them, we have tiny nods to Frida Carlo, Pablo Picasso (of course) and Matisse (my personal favourite). Everything strikingly simple, clean and more importantly peaceful.

I watched Chris burn himself out painting. The brushed dried before the paint even hit the wall and on our third week here a very unwelcome heat wave arrived. Something we blatantly didn’t need, however learned a huge amount from. Painting walls are for autumn and winter. Rushing to please others is pure stupidity.  A sharp and very important lesson we both learned quickly. I’ll touch upon “guests” later.

I couldn’t wait to get artwork on the walls, add small touches and details to the place. I studied graphic design throughout my life and practised it to a degree so my love for this has always shown in the home. Luckily for me my husband appreciates and encourages this out of me. We both love a clean, simple home (with a touch of bold, punchy graphics) which will always equate to peace. Progress moved forward nicely including a new toasting station in the kitchen and a Mac station in the art room, all thanks to the amazing skills my husband carries. 

“El calor” 
The Heat 

44 degree heat on roof terrace


We arrived from the UK early June of 2026 to souring temperates that reached over 40 in Oliva. It felt like the devil himself was blowing heat onto our backs. The furniture trips, loading and unloading, as well as our own bodies were all working on double time. It was something neither of us had experienced up to this point and was a shock to our systems. 

I can honestly say I never foresaw what this level of heat would do to me physically and mentally. On top of leaving both of my sons in the UK (a major emotional rip) the heat tested every part of my being. Patience, understanding, and general niceness went out the window - FAST. My husband bore the brunt most days and somehow still tolerated me, a true test of love. We aimed to find ways of managing the heat for ourselves and our relationship. I can’t even begin to express the levels of heat we have experienced so far so throughout this particular 'Verano’ post you will hear me mention/complain about ‘el calor’ a lot - apologies in advance.

Although we made the decision to move to a hot country, it’s not hot all year around. The winters here are amazing. In fact I will be bold enough to say now when we visited last winter it was the best Spanish experience I have had so far. Comfortable, pleasurable and out right stunning - that is what we came here for. The summer not so keen. It’s the kind of heat that takes your breath away and I would challenge even the most seasoned traveller who says otherwise. We are truly looking forward to cooler days and nights. Roll on the Autumn. QUICK. 


“Plantas progenitoras”
Parents of the plants

Our olive tree


I quickly become obsessed with plants. What works here? How much sun? How much water? How much love? Tomatoes failed due to wrong time of the year, May is the season for them, and our chill plant made friends with some bugs, all eventually failing. We tried to start basic with a couple of cactuses but even one of them went to plant heaven. After some heavy research we now have a nice collection of house and terrace plants that seem to be thriving. All our plant wins have come from the local market that pops up every Friday in Oliva. A stall there has a Spanish guy that knows his plants. Safe to say the plant stall has become my market staple. A peacock, money, and mother in laws tongue plant all seem to be doing well so far.

Our small cacti garden


Despite an aloe vera being a dessert plant they don’t appreciate direct sunlight, especially when someone special puts it on a sun drenched window sill. Now placed in a small nook of the house (our inset upstairs bathroom window) which I have named our "cactus garden", she seems to be more comfortable and has another shoot growing. YouTube told me “not to love it much”. Give it very little water, sun and attention. An independent spirted plant so it seems. We have taken the plunge more recently and bought a much wanted olive tree. So far she’s doing well, not much watering and very casual. Considering it's one of the most iconic Mediterranean trees, she is no diva. In fact she’s quietly perfect.

We don’t have a garden at the house, which suits me, but not Chris so much. His vision when looking at properties in Spain included land with the intention to grow our own produce. A dream still possible as we have been looking at land for over a year now. We came close last December, however the sale fell through due to the lack of paperwork produced by the seller, a big red flag from our solicitor Carlos. We aim to keep looking and see something that inspires us - at the right price of course - keep you posted.


“La sombra es la reina” 
Shade is King

Casa Regina and her traditional shades


I was going to write about this earlier but felt the previous paragraphs blended into themselves nicely to help me chat about my new love affair with “Sombra” - shade. Chris certainly coined the phrase “shade is king” from all his years of travelling in a camper van and he wasn't wrong.

Everything from walls, umbrellas, trees and even small tiny gaps in concrete - I look for shade everywhere. I find this particularly evident when I’m looking at trees. I still admire their beauty and often ask Chris what type of of tree it is. He has some seriously impressive knowledgeable of trees and we often explored parks in the UK checking them out. In fact we met in a park and for that reason Devonport Park in Plymouth will always hold a special place in my heart.

Now I judge trees. How much shade can it give me? Does it have a good breeze? Is it tall enough? Apart from shade can it give me a snack - figs anyone? The list goes on. On summer days when we hit 44 degrees we even plan our routes around the shade. We are lucky that both terraces give shade at different times. The bottom one very kindly has shade in the mornings. Perfect for coffee just outside our bedroom. The roof top will give shade later in the afternoon with a decent breeze. It’s a perfect and deliberate combination.

Eventfully we came to the realisation that the windows needed shutters to offer comfort inside the house. This was something I was DEAD against back in the UK. I never wanted to live in a dark house and some of the shutters I see on the houses here resemble a prison block - so it took a lot of convincing. However after the first gruelling heatwave where the house felt like an oven I was easily talked around. 

We went for the original wooden roll down blinds. These are very traditional and keeps in line with the photo we found of our home from 1925. Giving a little nod to the past is always right up our street. They fit beautifully on the outside the house (both front and back) and has elevated the look of the house - not that it needed it. There’s something about this traditional style of blind that gives our house the ultimate Spanish feel. Even our Spanish neighbours have commented on how lovely they look and feel. Keeping our neighbours happy rather than being Bullying Brits is where we want to be. They have certainly eased my distaste for shutters but I sometimes still struggle with the lack of light. We learned to work them inline with the sun's movements which helped keep the light coming in and heat out just at the right times - making me a very happy lady. I'm officially converted and what a difference they have made. Nice one Chris.


“Invitadas de verano” 
Summer Guests

Taking guests to Moors and Christens Festival 


This is without a doubt been the biggest learning curve so far. We had only been over here for less than five weeks before our first guests came over. Chris’s brother and wife came for week in mid July for the sole reason of being ‘the first over’. Big mistake all round. Although we had gone above and beyond to make the room comfortable and nicely presented their trip came before our roll blinds were fitted. The sun hits both guests rooms from 1pm onwards (the cooking hours as I have fondly named them) so at this point they were roasting both day and night. We get a secondary heat when the sun goes down due to the concrete releasing the days sun. Sleep was virtually non existent before the shade, and boy did they feel it.

Lack of sleep is a killer. Tiredness equals mood swings, snappy talk and behaving out of character. Mix that into the extreme heat and you’re asking for disaster. The sun disappeared for that week leaving us all to deal with unspeakable humidity. Even a much needed storm resulted in no rest bite and even the rain was warm. You couldn't escape it.

When people come to see us I feel waves of anxiety. Will they like it? What will we eat? Are they comfortable? The pressure over takes any logic. I am sure most people will relate and understand that. However I think we can all agree that this feeling is on steroids when the in-laws are in town. 

I relish in the company of my husband. Quite frankly I adore my own company. I grew up with highly independent parents who had no issues doing things together or apart. Both in their own surroundings or worldwide, they made independence look easy. Naturally I became independent myself and this was long before I came to live in Spain. So I found ‘babysitting’ guests too much. It was overwhelming, draining, frustrating and to be honest boring. I wasn’t expecting their trip to shake out like that as they have been here before when Chris and I stayed for a few months in 2025. They appeared to lack the confidence to explore and take time for themselves. Something I personally struggled with. I discovered I am not a good tour guide. We live in an era where Google Maps is an inbuilt app on all smart phones - use it. 

It was tough. They were understandably tricky to navigate through the humidity, lack of sleep and tiredness. These are things I would expect anyone to struggle with. Nothing felt good enough. It felt strained and awkward. This could have simply been the wrong time of year to have people over - who knows? 

By the end of the week I felt so overwhelmed I took myself to our local library for a chill out. What a find. They have the most beautiful garden where I immediately began to relax and unwind. A new sanctuary. S
urrounded by greenery and natural beauty in what used to be an old palace, it was here where I began to write about our journey. Perfection. 

Upon reflection we took to asking people who live here how they manage guests. Many said alternate accommodation works wonders. This would be something we would need to think about. Something me and Chris will need to plan out together. Or maybe we should just let people learn for themselves? 

Our next guests came out five days after the previous’s departure. Once again, another lesson. We NEED to take big breaks between visitors. Time to reflect, gather our own thoughts, and focus on our physical health is vital. We also need time to reconnect as a couple.


Family at the Font Salada


Naturally my family followed. My mum, son and his girlfriend came to stay for a week also. The humidity lifted thankfully and it felt somewhat cooler. We hired a car for them which felt like the perfect time for us to do things that we needed to do. DIY stores, big shops, tip runs and collecting logs for the winter were on our agenda whilst we had a car. We made sure we got them done.

As I am sure you can imagine I knew I would be instantly more comfortable with my own family. You can easily tell your mum to back down when she gets too much or let them know you need space. None of this was needed. They know my soul and gave me (and my husband) the time that was needed. Everyone felt relaxed both together and apart. Mum explored the old town and museums on her own. My son and girlfriend spent days on the beach together along with taking themselves on dinner dates. As well as being brought up by independent parents and becoming one myself, it’s evident that I have passed on the ‘independent streak’ to both of my sons. This created a totally different dynamic - one that I also believe my husband felt immediately.

Although Chris was the chauffeur for the week there wasn’t the pressure ‘to please’. When we came together to do things they would tell us about what they had done, ate, or saw. This made things a lot more interesting. Having space for everyone meant better and more interesting conversations. A very different experience and to be honest a much better one. This could be something we need to mention for future guests - make your own way.


Me and Boyd off to Gandia on the bikes


The week felt relaxed, easy and joyous. Seeing my son will always be special to me. My mum, who came to us relaxed and in a good head space was also a pleasure and to quote her ‘she had the best holiday she’s had in years’. They loved the beach, sea, food and company .No complaints. Very refreshing. The highlight was taking a cycle ride to Gandia with my son Boyd. 
As suspected he loved Gandia. Everything goes up a notch there. The cafe’s, fashion, and attitude clearly lends itself to its neighbouring city of Valencia. It was a special time and memory we both have forever. A tonic we both needed as we are very close. To steel a bit of time together felt good, actually it felt vital to us both. I am awaiting the day and right time of year to share the same experiences with my youngest son too. 

I would imagine it felt the same for Chris and his brother. It will certainly feel like that when his children come to visit. Luckily this is something we already know as Chris's son joined us for a week last December and it was stunning. We all had a beautiful week together and I often think about it. Sean speaks very good Spanish and it was a joy to hear him use it. They had a special day alone together and helped us discover our new favourite bar/cafe Maties. We had an incredible meal together on Sean's last night. I am very lucky to have two lovely step children and look forward to sharing our new chapter with them also. 


“Me está volviendo loco”
Driving me mad

Chris picking up the week's rental


One thing I will never get used to in Spain is the driving. I am always a passenger and never the driver for this reason. I hate the manic driving, the speed and overall lack of regard for any driver, cyclist or walker. We all know the summer makes this worse with roads full of traffic and boy racers. 

I am lucky that in my short life I have been to a few places in Europe and Chris has plenty of experience of driving abroad, but this doesn’t even come into play when I am in a vehicle here. It’s the closest thing to a panic attack that I believe I could experience. My mind takes over and that’s it. Sweating, lack of breath, internal screaming and crying. I have even been sick after a drive.

On a bike, it feels easier. I can control where I am and how I move. Although I can still panic approaching roads it’s nowhere near the levels I get to in a car. I understand there’s nothing worse than a nervous passenger but I equally have no control over my mind or body when I get into a car here in Spain. A bus I can handle, even a taxi (to a point) but us driving is too much. Pardon the pun, but my heart and mind go into overdrive, even more so when we have other passengers and are responsible for other people's safety. For now a car is OFF the table.


“El verano es nuestro”
The summer is ours


Me and Chris together on our roof terrace and at the local market


For now the rest of the summer belongs to us as a couple. As we suddenly find ourselves with no pressure to entertain as the temperature is hitting 44 degrees. Just as we find ourselves resting, the August heat has different ideas. I took up smoking again recently to cope. Silly move I know. The plan is to quit in September, a promised I made to Chris and Boyd, but for now I am going with it - another thing my husband is patiently tolerating.

I want to get back into ‘our’ routines and rhythms now. Workouts (we have a small gym in our annex as they are expense in Spain) sea swims, walks, and eating healthy are without a doubt my main priority. As an ex gym bunny the lack of movement mainly due to the extreme heat has taken its tole. Both my physical health (lack of tone and weight gain) and mental health (exercise is the anti depressant I don't have to take) have suffered. August needs to be over now so I can focus on getting healthy again.

When we came here last year we arrived at the end of April and eased into the summer. This worked well for the both of us. Not only did it give us chance to build up to the heat, we established a pretty solid workout routine. In the mornings we would cycle to the beach and sea swim, followed by a walk to Piles which is about half an hour up the coast from Oliva. We felt fit, healthy and alive. This summer I have felt lethargic, down and unmotivated to do anything. Doesn’t feel good. In fact you could say punishing.

We welcome September and the Autumn with open arms now. I am excited to see what the next season brings, what we learn and how we manage our new lives here. 

More stunning photos of Oliva here 

Love Dama Verity x

Comments